Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I access the site to fill up the online application?
An applicant should log on to http://www.opsconline.gov.in to access the home page of the online application.
2. Is it mandatory to have a e-Mail ID?
Yes. You must have a valid email ID for apply for any post. If you don’t have a mail ID, it may be created at Gmail, Yahoo, MSN, rediff etc. in free of cost.
3. Is it mandatory to have a Mobile Number?
No, it is optional. If you want to receive message on the various stages of your application you may enter the 10 digit mobile number.
4. When can I submit online application for a particular examination? Can I apply any time during the year for a particular examination?
An applicant can apply for a particular examination within the time limit prescribed in the notification/advertisement released by OPSC. After the time duration the link for fill-up the application will not be available.
5. Can anyone apply online for a particular examination?
Yes, an applicant who fulfills the eligibility criteria prescribed in the advertisement (http://www.opsconline.gov.in) of that particular examination can apply.
6. Are there any detailed instructions to guide an applicant for submitting an online application?
Yes, an applicant must refer to the detailed instructions which are available on website http://www.opsconline.gov.in/ for filling up the online application before doing so, which are available.
7. What should I do if there is lot of delay in accessing the page?
The delay in accessing the Page depends upon various factors like Internet Speed, large number of applicants trying to register the application at the same time etc. Therefore if you are not able to get the page for registration promptly, please retry after some time or during off-peak hours. Hence, it is advisable not to wait for last minute rush.
8. What information/ details /items are required while filling the on-line application form?
The instructions/ items which are required to submit the fee, photograph, Left thumb impression and signature have been explained in the guideline and instructions for fill-up forms which is available at www.opsconline.gov.in . In addition to these, you should have the relevant information/ details for all the columns which are required to be filled up.
9. What is the procedure to pay the fee for the examination?
After successful submission of application form, click on "Save as PDF" to save your application form in PDF and take print out of it. Then click on "Print Bank Pay-in-Slip" to print the challan and deposit the fee in cash at any branch of the State Bank of India. The bank will not accept any other challan/form for the payment of fee by cash.
10. Is there any other bank in addition to SBI where fee can be deposited by cash?
No, the fee should be deposited in cash only in any branch of State Bank of India.
11. Is there any other form/challan to pay fee by cash apart from the pay-in-slip?
No. An applicant must make use of the pay-in-slip generated by the system. The Bank(SBI) will not accept the fee (in cash) by any form or challan.
12. I have successfully submitted the online application, should I send the print outs of the application to the commission by post?
Once an applicant has successfully submitted the application through online, the same gets registered with the Commission. If it is instructed to send the hard copy of the form in the notification/advertisement, then only you have to send the application form along with all the testimonials. However, it is strongly advised that the applicant keeps a hard copy of his /her application for his/her own record and future communication with the commission, if any.
13. When the relevant particulars i.e. the community/ age relaxation requirements/ disability status/ year of birth etc. do not appear in the corresponding parameters available in the drop-out menu. How should I fill up the relevant columns?
Before filling up the application, please check that you have
selected the right examination in case more than one exam is notified during
that period. Although it may not happen as the required columns along with the
drop-down menu for selection and inputting the information is available on the
online form for a particular examination. In case, the applicant desires to opt
for a criteria/parameter which is different from the one contained in the
drop-down menu, would lead to the inference with the system that the candidate
is not eligible for this examination on account of different parameter.
14. What should be back ground color of the Signature and Left Thumb Impression(LTI)?
Signature to be scanned must have done in black ink on white paper (background) and Signature and the Left Thumb Impression must be given with Blue/Black stamp pad on white paper .
15. In which format the scanned photograph, signature and Left thumb impression should be?
The images of the photograph, signature and Left Thumb Impression should be scanned in the .gif or .jpg format.
16. What should be the size of the scanned photograph and the signature?
Allowed Photograph Size 25KB to 100 KB
Allowed Signature Size 10 KB to 50KB
Allowed Left Hand Thumb Impression Size 10 KB to 50KB
17. If the Photograph is not of the proper pixel size given, then how to convert it?
Use any free image editing software such as MS Paint or Irfanview. To delete the unnecessary print area, use the CROP option after selecting the Image. To resize to proper pixel size use the resize option.
18. If the Photograph is not in the desired format, then how to convert it?
If the image is in other formats such as .tiff,.bmp etc, then open the photo in MsPaint or Irfanview and click save as option to save it in the desired format (.jpg or .png).
19. How do I load my signatures/photograph/LTI?
The scanned photograph and signature in the format and the specification which has already been explained above is to be uploaded.
20. How do I know that my application is registered/successfully submitted?
On successful submission you will get a screen where your Registration number will be displayed and you will get a SMS and e-Mail from the system on successful submission of application form.
21. I did not receive the e-mail intimation for registration of my application?
If your mail id is correct you must receive the mail from system. However, if you didn’t received the mail, the please check your mail id is correct or not.
22. I got a error message after submission of application on-line?
This may mean that the application has not been submitted successfully and you are required to apply afresh.
23. After filling up the complete form, I got Blank Screen / Internet got disconnected / My PC closed / hanged / shutdown. Is my application saved / registered?
On completion of application Registration ID is generated by the system. If the same has not been generated and you are disconnected midway due to any reason, you have to enter the details of application afresh.
24. I have submitted two applications for the examination, one through online and the other through offline. Will my both applications be accepted/ rejected or one of them will be accepted/ rejected?
Can an applicant do multiple registrations for the same examination? What will be status of my candidature if I have successfully submitted more than one application?
NO OFFLINE APPLICATIONS WILL BE ENTERTAINED. Candidates can apply in online mode only.
The applicants are advised to submit only single application; however if due to any unavoidable situation, if he/she submits another/multiple applications, then he/she must ensure that application with the higher RID (Registration ID) is complete in all respects like applicants’ details, photograph, signature, fee etc. The applicants who are submitting multiple applications should note that only the applications with higher RID (Registration ID) shall be entertained by the Commission and fee paid against one RID shall not be adjusted against any other RID.
26. What details should I retain after completion of successful submission of my form?
It is strongly advised that after the completion of the process of submission of the online application, the applicant must take a print out of the submitted application form and keep the same for future reference. The candidate is also advised to keep his fee payment proof which might be required by the commission in case of any discrepancy.
27. What details should I provide to make correspondence with the Commission?
In case of correspondence with the commission an applicant must mention these details -Name of Examination, Applicant's name, father's name, date of birth and the Registration Identity Number(RID).
28. How to convert grade to mark?[Advt No 02 of 2012-13]
The institution or University, from which the candidate obtained the certificate, has a set of principles for conversion of grade / grade points to marks and from CGPA to percentage of marks. Therefore candidates are advised to obtain the conversion formula from the institution or the university and accordingly calculate the marks or percentage of marks and fill up the relevant box in the online application form. This has been clearly indicated in under Para 11(iv) Note (a) of the Advertisement[Advt No 02 of 2012-13].
29. Whether Degrees like Electrical & Electronics Engineering are allowed or not?[Advt No 02 of 2012-13]
The University which imparts degrees in different disciplines in engineering has specific guidelines regarding equivalence of the degrees to the degrees in other disciplines basing on the syllabus / courses of study. Therefore the candidates are advised to obtain the guidelines regarding equivalence qualification from the respective university. This has been clearly indicated in under Para 11(xiii) of the Advertisement.[Advt No 02 of 2012-13].
30. I got "Unknown error" while uploding the Photograph/Signature/Left thumb impresion?
If you got the error message "Unknown Error" while uploading the Photograph/Signature/LTI, then open the image in any image editor like "paint brush", Ms Office picture picture etc and save the image as ".jpg" file and then upload.
Note : Candidates should ensure that the photograph and signature are uploaded in the application at appropriate place and the photo and signature must be clearly visible in the form.